Queen Mary’s College is easy to get to! The campus is set on a green and leafy site, only a short walk from Basingstoke town centre. QMC-direct buses operate from outside areas including Andover, Burghfield, Fleet, Hook (including Odiham/North Warnborough), Newbury, North Waltham (including Hatch Warren/Kempshott/Brighton Hill (ASDA) ) and Whitchurch/Overton areas. (see below for full details)
We have a Green Travel Plan at Queen Mary’s College which commits us to cutting down car use to the site as much as possible – both for the benefit of the neighbourhood and to reduce the College’s impact on the wider environment. When thinking about travel to college please remember to look for the most environmentally friendly form of transport.
If you live within Basingstoke consider walking (walking directions) or cycling to College. These methods of travel are cheap, keep you fit and are good for the environment. There are many safe walking and cycle routes in to College and ample covered and guarded cycle parking is available at the College. Try and share lifts with family, friends or neighbours who also travel into Basingstoke. If you are being given a lift to College you must use the turning circle and drop off point at the far end of Cliddesden Road. Please be considerate to our neighbours and do not park in neighbouring streets or block driveways.
The college is approximately 15 minutes walk from train and bus stations.
To use scheduled Stagecoach bus services to and from College you will need to purchase a StudentRider Basingstoke (local/inner Basingstoke), or a StudentRider Gold (for those living outside Basingstoke). You must apply for the zone appropriate to your address and this will be checked. The Stagecoach bus pass has the advantage that it can also be used in the evenings, at weekends and during holidays, without additional payments, for travel within your area. You must carry photo ID in support of your bus pass. Rates for 2021/22 are confirmed below:
2021/2022 Basingstoke Gold
Autumn term £167 £322 Includes Christmas holiday
Spring term £145 £275 Includes Easter holiday
Summer term £120 £229 Excludes summer holiday; ticket expires at end of term
Annual £425 £745 Includes all holidays; ticket expires 31 August
• Student rate tickets will be available to any full time student aged 16+.
• Applications are made through the Stagecoach website and issued as a smartcard.
• Replacement smartcards can be requested by students free of charge through the Stagecoach
website or by phone.
• It is not possible to pay QMC for a Stagecoach Bus Pass. If you live within the Basingstoke town area and wish to purchase a weekly or monthly bus pass you can do so by contacting Stagecoach directly.
How to Apply for a Stagecoach Bus Pass
Applications can be made online from early August 2021 through Stagecoach. For information regarding bus timetables, zone maps, etc, please visit the Stagecoach website. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/regionaltickets/south/basingstoke/southstudents
If you do not have access to the internet please contact Stagecoach on 0345 121 0190.
QMC-Direct Bus Service
For students who live in the Andover, Burghfield, Fleet/Yateley/Hartley Wintney,
Hook/Odiham/Warnborough, Newbury/Headley/Kingsclere, North Waltham/Hatch
Warren/Kempshott, or Whitchurch/Overton areas the College organises private coach transport.
We recognise that transport represents a significant cost to families. We offer an annual pass for
for £475* (*2021-22). As the services are contracted annually, tickets are only issued on an annual
basis and payments are not refundable.
College bus places are awarded on a first-come first-served basis. Please remember that you commit to one full year and payments are not refundable for part use of a College bus pass. These services are often faster and more direct than the scheduled services. They deliver you to the College site, but they only run once a day each way in term time. Your timetabled taught lessons may start and finish later/earlier than the bus schedule. This trapped time represents valuable opportunities for personal study, homework, etc. Our buses are not used by members of the general public. The passes cannot be used on Stagecoach services. If you lose your College bus pass it will cost £10 for a replacement.
College Bus routes and timings below are for services operating this academic year. They are for guidance only and may be subject to change for the new academic year. Buses aim to reach College by 8.50am and leave for the return journey at 4.35pm.
Andover Direct Bus
• The Drove Shops (where they meet Shakespeare Avenue) (0750)
• Outside Andover Bus Station – layby next to the taxi rank) (0755)
• Burghfield Common, Recreation Road (0730)
• School Lane/Clay Hill Road (0731)
• RAF Estate – Chestnut Drive (0733)
• Burghfield, Sulhamstead Road/Old Rectory (0735)
• Reading Road/Burghfield Chemist (0738)
• Mortimer, McColls (am)/Budgens (pm) (0744)
• West End Road, St Mary’s Road (0747)
• West End Road, The turners Arms PH (0749)
• West End Road/Church Road, V.Hall (0752)
• Silchester/Calleva Arms (0755)
• RAF Odiham/Churchill Avenue Bus Stop (Love Lane end) (0748)
• Odiham – B3349/Dunleys Hill (bus stop approx. 15 metres north of Crownfields (0752)
• North Warnborough (Priors Corner) (0754)
• North Warnborough (The Mill House) (0755)
• Hook – Griffin Way Sth (Quince Tree Way) (0800)
• Hook – Griffin Way Sth (Ravenscroft) (0802)
• Hook – Old Reading Rd (Alder Wood Drive) (0804)
• Hook – London Rd (The Old White Hart) (0807)
• Nately Scures (Baredown) (0810)
• The Hatch Pub, A30 (0812)
• Bus Stop – Reading Road, outside Forge Court Vet Services (0720)
• Bus Stop – Fleet/Avondale Rd (not station) (0733)
• Bus Stop – Kings Road between Kenilworth Road & Westover Road (0736)
• Bus Stop – Reading Road South just before Florence Road (0740)
• Aldershot Rd before Sandy Ln (by No 84) (0746)
• Bus Stop – Coxheath Rd/Crookham Reach (0750)
• Bus Stop – Fleet – Reading Road North (Oatsheaf PH) (0755)
• A323 North of Railway – Elvetham Heath Park & Ride (0758)
• Bus Stop – Hartley Wintney High Street, opposite Swan Court (0803)
• Phoenix Green (0804)
• Penwood Old Police Hse, Foxes Lane(0725)
• Woolton Hill (Blindman’s Gate) (0728)
• Woolton Hill (Harwood Rise) (0730)
• Woolton Hill (Greenways) (0732)
• Woolton Hill (Gainsborough Stud) (0733)
• Ball Hill (Burley Moor Farm) (0734)
• Ball Hill (The Furze Bush PH) (0735)
• Washwater (Spring Gardens) (0740)
• Newbury, Andover Rd (adjacent Gun Pub) (0743)
• Newtown Road, Porchester Rd Bus Stop (0746)
• Tesco Extra (A339 bus stop) (0750)
• Newtown, The Swan (A339) (0752)
• Greenham Business Park (Bishop’s Green Turn Bus Stop) (0754)
• Headley, Galley Lane Bus Stop (0758)
• Kingsclere (The Square) (0805)
North Waltham, Hatch Warren & Kempshott
• North Waltham (The Pond) (0745)
• Hatch Warren (Beggarwood Lane, bus stop by Co-op) (0800)
• Hatch Warren (Woodbury Rd, Lapin Lane) (0805)
• Kempshott (Heather Way, Kempshott Lane) (0810)
• Kempshott (Kempshott Lane, Buckingham Parade) (0812)
• Kempshott (Pack Lane, Kendal Gardens) (0816)
• Cranbourne, Brighton Hill, ASDA (0820)
Whitchurch Bus (Andover, Laverstoke, Overton, Oakley)
• Andover Rd Bus Stop, Sheep Fayre, Walled Meadow/Wolversdene (0730)
• Andover, Winton School (0733)
• Hurstbourne Priors, Hurstbourne Inn (0740)
• Whitchurch, Station Road opp station (0745)
• Whitchurch Bell St, outside Bell Inn (0748)
• B3400 Laverstoke Bus Stop, Bombay Sapphire (0755)
• Overton, The Square (0802)
• Overton, Overton Hill (0804)
• Oakley, Bus Stop on Fox Lane at Junction with Pack Lane (0813)
The College is approximately 15 minutes walk from train and bus stations.
South Western Railway operate numerous services that stop in Basingstoke.
SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY SERVICES (SWR)
16-17 Saver – If you are aged 16 or 17 you can enjoy 50% off standard Anytime, Off-Peak,
Advance and Season tickets, helping you save money on travel to college, trips into town, days out
to the coast, or weekend festivals. The Saver is valid for one year or until you turn 18. You can
use the 16-17 discounted tickets on National Rail services across Great Britain (but not on ScotRail
and Caledonian Sleeper services). View Details.
Parking spaces at College are limited and priority is given to students who:
If you wish to apply for a parking permit an application form is available from the Help Desk. Each application will be considered on its merits and special cases will be viewed sympathetically. Please note that being issued a permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space. If you are issued a permit to park you will need to pay a fee. Please contact the Help Desk for further information.
Please contact the Help Desk via email: email@example.com for further information.
|Stagecoach’s Enquiry Unit||0345 121 0190||General enquiries regarding Stagecoach services and replacement passes.|
|Help Deskfirstname.lastname@example.org||General enquiries regarding all College bus and replacement passes, financial assistance, methods of payment, application queries etc.|
If you have any queries about travel then please contact the College Help Desk via email: email@example.com.