Results Day 2022

Results Day 2022

Posted: 16th August 2022

The headlines are in and we are celebrating 99% A Level pass rate, 57% A*-B and 81% A*-C!
The very best of luck to all our students who are collecting results this morning!
_____________________________________________________________
Continuing Exam Success for Queen Mary’s College

99% pass rate at A Level: 81% A*-C grades
 69 % High Grades for BTEC Extended Diploma
90% of students gained places to study at their first confirmed choice of university.

On Thursday 18th August students from Queen Mary’s College gathered to receive the long-awaited exam results that would determine their next steps. Their excitement was mixed with nervous energy as they prepared to open their envelopes alongside their parents, teachers and classmates with whom they have shared so much and developed strong friendships. Clustered together for mutual support, envelopes were opened revealing grades that would provide them with their passports to successful futures. This year the occasion is particularly special, given the fact that these students have had no formal external exams during the whole of their school experience and their year 11 was cut short due to lockdown. With nearly 60% of students achieving the highest grades of A*-B, both students and staff have so much to be proud of.  It is a fantastic example of how resilient and motivated young people can be even during the most challenging of times.
The excellent exam results achieved reinforced, once again, QMC’s success as a genuinely inclusive College, with the majority of students gaining better grades than their prior achievement at GCSE would predict. Performance was consistently high across all subject areas, enabling students to progress successfully onto a wide range of exciting degrees and apprenticeships.  The results reflect the priority that the College places on ensuring that young people are able to grow and flourish during their time at QMC: Principal Mark Henderson (pictured celebrating with students) explained “Whilst I am once again delighted at the amazing academic achievements of our students, I am most proud of how this year group have thrown themselves into College life helping to ensure they leave us as happy and confident young adults who are well equipped for whatever comes their way.”

Among the students gaining the highest grades and now heading towards their dream careers are;

Sophie Peskett achieved A*A*A* gaining her a place to study Veterinary Science at Cambridge University.

Poppy Cook is celebrating A*A*A grades and is off to study Medicine at King’s College, London. (right) Poppy with her teacher

Charlie Bowden is off to Oxford to study History after securing A*A*A B

Olivia Ward is also off to Oxford University to study Chemistry after achieving A*A*A*A*
Olivia, who plans to become a Research Chemist in the future said “The support I received for Oxbridge was incredible! They do so much for us at QMC and I’m very happy!”

Jasmine To achieved AAA, securing her place to study Chemistry at University of Southampton. Jasmine said “At school I wasn’t the brightest student and didn’t get top grades at GCSE. All of my teachers at QMC have been fantastic and I owe my success to them. In the first year I was really struggling with confidence and dealing with failure. The fear of failure really got to me and this would bring my grades down because I focussed too much on getting things wrong. Marcus (Teacher of Chemistry) taught me that failing is ok, that it’s not a performance, just a training task and that it was perfectly okay to make mistakes as part of the learning process. That really stuck with me throughout my second year. When I look at questions I happen to get wrong now I don’t see it as a disadvantage, as I know that I will learn from it for next time!” Vanessa Evdokimova (left) and Jasmine To (right)

Mani Gill achieved A A A B is pleased to be going to his first choice of university to study Maths and Physics at Southampton. He commented “At QMC It was never out of the question that they’d be there to help me with any support I needed during my time as a student.”

Vanessa Evdokimova secured A grades in Biology, Chemistry and Spanish, and an A* in Italian. She will be studying Biomedical Science at Cardiff University. Vanessa (who is pictured with her proud parents) said “QMC have helped me so much throughout my two years! There was lots of support sessions to help me with my learning. Everyone was just so nice and I really enjoyed my experience here!”

Sam Holland has been awarded A*A A and will be studying Chemical Engineering with a year in industry at Sheffield University. He said “I am very pleased with my results and couldn’t have asked for more from QMC. There were lots of additional resources and study session to support my learning and great quality teaching throughout my time here!”

The results for Level 3 BTECS and other Applied General qualifications were also outstanding with 69% achieving Distinction/Distinction* grades, equivalent to an A/A* grade at A-level. Increasing numbers of students at QMC choose to combine traditional A-levels with Applied Generals in order to pursue their career interests.

Charlotte Crisp achieved D*D*D* and is going to King’s College London to study Fine Art.

Jessican Jesudian re-took English and Maths GCSE at QMC and has gone on to achieve an impressive D*D*D* at Level 3, securing her place at Kingstone to study Illustration and Animation. Photographed on the left

Bradley Chick enrolled late at QMC, when a carpentry apprenticeship he’d previously secured fell through due to the pandemic. Bradley studied a mix of vocational and A Level courses, securing D*AA grades. The aspiring lawyer has secured a Paralegal Data Apprenticeship for Evalian. Bradley said “My teachers gave me all of the tools I needed to achieve. I just had to put in the dedication and commitment.” He added “I’m speechless and ecstatic! QMC is the best place and I’m really going to miss it!”