What is the role of risk in progress and excellence?
- Guest speaker Aisha Washington (Interim CEO of @get_further) made a powerful and inspiring case for taking certain risks – pointing out that sometimes the risks we fear aren’t nearly as big as they might seem at first glance, especially if we’re able to establish safety nets.
- Our second talk was from Prof Saul Faust of @unisouthampton and Chris Stock of @UHSFT.
Saul and Chris brilliantly helped us to understand the meticulous process of testing new vaccines, including the Covid-19 vaccines.
- Our final guest lecture was given by Dr Timothy Secret of @_UoW.
Tim made an unforgettable case that the greatest risk we can take is to love… and yet this is a risk well worth taking.
Between the talks, students broke off into discussion groups to explore, share and test out their own thoughts on these tricky topics.
Students therefore developed their listening, thinking and communication skills, in preparation for their lives post-QMC.
- Finally, very brave students joined a ‘BBC Question Time’-style panel, alongside @MariaMillerUK MP and QMC Principal Mark Henderson, to answer questions on our theme from their peers – an amazing opportunity!
- We are so proud of all the students involved in the conference, and so grateful to all the guests, volunteers and staff who made it possible.
✅ “unique and inspiring”
✅ “every second was worth it”
✅ “a great way to push you out of your comfort zone and speak to new people”
✅ “a ton of fun”
💬 this is how our students described last week’s annual QMC Conference