Click here to buy a Totum card. The National Union of Students (NUS) are currently offering a three year membership for the price of two. You will be supporting QMC’s SU and taking advantage of discounts in high street stores across the UK:
The SU is here to support our fellow students. When you start, find us:
Every student enrolled at Queen Marys College is automatically a member of the Students' Union (see the SU Constitution here). The Students' Union is run by students, for students and exists to represent the interests of students at QMC and to organise social events. The Students' Union is affiliated with the National Union of Students (NUS) so students can benefit from NUS membership and take advantage of discounts in high street stores across the UK.
The executive committee are elected representatives of the whole student body who work to make sure student views are represented. Every year they organise social events and a summer ball for students and staff. These events have an excellent turnout and are great fun.
The Students' Union here at QMC, promote and run a number of events throughout each year.
Every half term, the Students' Union host a Student Voice meeting in which other students are invited along to express their views on college life. These meetings usually have a member of college staff along to answer questions from a particular area. These have included the catering manager, library supervisor, premises coordinator and the principal.
These meetings have concluded with some of the following new initiatives:
- Extended café opening times
- A review of the college catering menu for students, including adding vegan options
- A new pool cover has been purchased through SU funds, saving the college around £10,000 a year in energy costs
- Purchasing new benches for the college site, and new chairs for the café
- New lights have been put up along the service roads to help students leaving college in the dark
- Raised awareness of having cross-college Wi-Fi, which has been a welcomed addition
- Improved recycling amongst students
The Students' Union has also raised money for Comic Relief, Sport Relief, Macmillan, Children in Need, National Aids Trust and Terence Higgins amongst others. As well as this the Students' Union have helped with Anti-Bullying Week, Sexual Health Awareness Week, Saving the Beagles and the Christmas Jumper Appeal.